??????? Analytical summaries are short pieces of writing thatoffer the main ideas of an article or an essay.? In addition, asummary explains what the original writer does in the text:explain, argue, analyze, illustrate, etc.? If you have written agood summary, you should be able to answer ?yes? to each of thefollowing questions:
- Does the first sentence contain the author?s name, the genre,the title, and the main idea of the writing?
- Does each following sentence refer to the author?
- Does each following sentence tell what the author DOES?(explains, adds, argues, illustrates, etc.)
- Does each following sentence tell what the author says?
- Is it written in present tense?
- Are there clear transitions or connections betweensentences?
- Does the piece avoid evaluation? (The student does not includehis or her own opinion).
- Does the piece avoid plagiarism?
- Does the piece represent the key ideas of the articleeffectively?
A frame for writing analytical summaries:
??????? In the (genre: article or essay) _______________________, (title of the piece in quotes) ___________________________, (theauthor?s complete name)__________________ (verb: argues, explores,discusses, explains, etc.) ______________________ (the mainidea/thesis)__________________________________________________________.First, (author?s last name) _________________ (verb)______________________ (main idea)________________________________________.? (Transition) _______,the writer (author, last name, pronoun) ___________? (verb)__________ (main idea)_____________________________________________________.? Inaddition, (pronoun) _______? (verb) _________ (main idea)_________________________.? (Transition) ________, (writer?s lastname or pronoun) _______ (verb) ________ (main idea)______________________.? Finally, (author?s last name) _______concludes (main idea)________________________________________________.