Home Raritan Valley Community College
To best view this page, please turn off Compatibility View.

Frequently Asked Questions for Parents and Families


Academic Calendar Parent and Family Orientation
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)   Withdrawal & Refund Schedule
Helpful Links Ask A Question

Getting Ready for College

 Q: Can I attend orientation with my student?


A: Parents are encouraged and welcome to attend the orientation program (ROARS).  A separate parent and family orientation program is offered during the ROARS program.

 Q: What are the biggest academic adjustments during the freshman year?

A: Learning to discipline oneself and manage time are critical adjustments. College classes may meet only every other day, or once a week, but the workload does not diminish. It is suggested that the student spend two hours of studying for every one hour in class, balanced with study breaks. Students should know to seek help for academic difficulties.

Q: Are summer classes necessary?

A: Students may decide to take summer courses. Students who place into developmental math are recommended to take these courses during the summer before their first semester at RVCC. Students may also take summer classes if they place into developmental courses in order to stay on track for graduation.

Q: My insurance company says my son/daughter must be a full-time student for me to maintain coverage. What constitutes full time?

A: A student must take at least 12 hours to be considered full time. Most classes meet for three hours a week, but some meet for one, two, four, or five hours. Any combination that totals 12 or more semester hours is considered full time.

Q: Where to students park on campus?

A: Students may park in the following lots on campus (see campus map): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8.  RVCC does not currently charge a separate fee for parking nor are there any parking decals required.

Q: What documents are necessary to complete my application for admission? 

A: First-time high schools students are required to submit required immunization forms and a final high school transcript confirming their graduation by the third week of classes of their first semester. Students who not submit these documents will have a Document Submission hold placed on their account which will prevent them from registering for the future semesters. Visit the Prospective Students' page for more information.


Q: Do professors take attendance in class?

A: Some professors take attendance while others do not. A professor’s attendance policy is outlined in his or her syllabus so students are encouraged to review all syllabi. Click Here to view the college attendance policy.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of my student’s grades?

A: The College is prohibited from releasing certain information to parents without the permission of the student, grades included. By federal law (The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, FERPA, also known as the Buckley Amendment), students over the age of 18 are considered responsible adults and are allowed to determine who will receive information about them

Q: My student did well in high school. Why are they struggling in college?

A: Even students who have done exceptionally well in high school find college work challenging. Students spend less time in class and more time in preparation. College professors demand much more, and course material is covered at a faster pace. Good note-taking and study habits are essential.

Q: How can a student get help if they're struggling with academics or a certain class?

A: If a student is struggling in a class, they should schedule an office meeting with the professor. They can discuss challenges, note-taking and test-preparation methods, and tutoring possibilities. The professor can help the student decide if they should continue or drop the class. If the student continues, he/she should attend every class session. If the student drops the class, he/she must withdraw in the Records and Registration Office (College Center 1st floor) by the drop deadline to receive a grade of "W."

Be sure your student meets with their first-year advisor before making any changes to their class schedule. First-year students who place into developmental courses will have a hold on their account requiring them to meet with a first-year advisor before they can make changes to their class schedule.

Q: What are the withdrawal/refund dates for each semester?

A: The Withdrawal/Refund schedule is posted on the Records and Registration website for each academic term at RVCC.

Q: What is the difference between a degree and a certificate?

A: An associate’s degree is awarded at the completion of a two-year program. A certificate is awarded at the completion of a series of courses that prepare students for employment in a selected vocation.    

Q: What is the RVCC Placement Test?

A: All first-time college students at RVCC must complete a placement test to assess their readiness to succeed in college-level coursework, specifically English and/or mathematics. The ACCUPLACER test measures reading, language, and math literacy. Students identified as needing additional English and/or math skills will be placed in developmental courses to improve their skills. Students may be exempt from the placement test if their SAT or ACT scores are high enough or they have taken college courses that can be used to place them in English and Math. Click Here for more information on placement testing.

Q: What are developmental courses and who has to take them?

A: Developmental courses provide an opportunity for students to strengthen their skills in math, English, and reading. Mid-South Community College understands that students come with many strengths and skill sets. Developmental courses are designed to help build and strengthen the basic foundation skills so students can succeed in all of their classes.  

Q: What kind of academic support do you offer?

All professors hold office hours when students can go see them for help. There are also tutors available to students on campus free of charge. A list of subjects available for tutoring and tutoring hours are availabe on the
Academic Support Center's website.


Financial Aid & Paying for College

Q: How do students apply for financial aid?

A:The Admissions Office will help you through the financial aid process. We encourage all families to file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).  Visit the Financial Aid FAQ section for more information.

Q: How can students file the FAFSA online?

A: Go to
www.fafsa.ed.gov. Make sure that you go to ".gov" not ".com." If you go to “.com” you will be charged for the service.

Q: How can students pay for tuition?

A: Students can pay through tuition either through financial aid, an interest-free tuition payment plan, or can pay their tuition in full using check, cash or credit card. 

Student Life & Engagement

  Q: What activities are available for students on campus? 

A: RVCC has over 30 actives student organizations on campus. The first three weeks of each semester are designated "Weeks of Welcome" and contain events helped to get new students acclimated to the RVCC campus. Students can become in multiple activities including clubs and organizations, student government, student activites board and service learning programs. Student clubs and organizations can be found in the Lion's Den under the "Groups" list.  Students are encouraged to start a new club or organization if one does not exist that matches a student's academic or other interests!

Student Services

Q: What services does RVCC offer for students with learning and other types of disabilities?

A: RVCC's Office of Disability Services offers students with diagnosed learning disabilities access to accommodations and support that will improve their college experience. Students with learning disabilities should be seen by the Disability Services staff to determine the appropriate resources needed. See
Disabilities Services for more information.

 Q: What services are available for career planning? What about Internships?

A: Encourage your student to visit the Transfer and Career services office their first year. Transfer and Career Services will discuss career options, self-assessment, values, skills, interests, goals and job-seeking strategies. Students are also encouraged to attend workshops about career planning and how to get an internship. 
Click Here for more information. 

Q: Are emergency telephones placed throughout the campus for students to call for help?

A: Yes. Red emergency phones are located in every building on campus, and they are clearly marked. The system is designed so that no dialing is needed; as soon as a person picks up the phone, he or she is connected with campus security.  Blue emergency call boxes are provided in campus parking lots.

 Have a question not on the list?  Ask Us - Click Here to submit your question


Web Study myRV Mobile RVCC LibraryLinked In Instagramfacebook Button Twitter YouTube