Home Raritan Valley Community College
To best view this page, please turn off Compatibility View.

New Student Planning GuideChoosing Your Degree


Welcome   How to Build Your Schedule
What To Expect   Class Schedule Grid
How College is Different   Academic and Career Plan
Campus Life @ RVCC     Career Planning 
Family Rights & Educational Privacy Act    Transfer Planning 
Financing Your Education    Academic & Student Support Services
ABCs of RVCC    Your Next Steps
Choosing Your Degree    Tips for Success 
How to Log into the Lion's Den  





 Associate of Arts/Associate of Science 

 Prepares you to transfer to a university as a junior to pursue a bachelor's degree in a specific major. See NJ Transfer Legislation below.    



Associate of Fine Arts    

Prepares you to transfer to a university to pursue a Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts          



Associate of Applied Science

Prepares you to enter a specialized career field. General education courses may transfer, however major courses may not transfer  




Prepares you to enter a specialized career field. Not guaranteed to transfer






If you plan to transfer to a university with a specific major, you are responsible for meeting the transfer requirements.  To access information about majors you can:
  • Visit Advising & Counseling Services and Transfer & Career Services to discuss the transfer process  
  • Create an educational plan for a specific major using this workbook  
  • Consult the catalog and/or Web site of the university you wish to transfer to
  • Visit NJTRANSFER.ORG for recommended transfer programs and course transfer equivalencies within the state of New Jersey

If you are seeking an A.A.S. degree or certificate, you should contact the respective department for guidance in:

  •   Developing educational plans that meet degree requirements and personal goals.
  • Answering career-specific questions.
  • Directing you to helpful information.
  • Becoming a successful graduate.  

In addition you may wish to:

  • Visit Transfer & Career Services
  • Obtain an Internship or Co-Op.
NJ State-wide Transfer Agreement:
Under the provisions of this Agreement, an Associate of Arts (A.A) or Associate of Science (A.S.) degree from a New Jersey community college will be fully transferable as the first two years of a baccalaureate degree program at any New Jersey public four-year institution. Additionally, students transferring with an A.A. or A.S. degree will be considered to have completed all lower division General Education requirements. Students transferring with an A.A. degree into a B.A. program or an A.S. degree into a B.S. program will have accepted for transfer exactly half of the credits required for the basic four-year degree and will have exactly half of the-credits to complete at the four-year institution. Such students will have Junior status upon enrollment at the four-year institution.



Back Arrow


Right Arrow



Entering the Lion's Den 


Web Study myRV Mobile RVCC LibraryLinked In Instagramfacebook Button Twitter YouTube