New Student Planning Guide - Your Next Steps
1. Apply for Financial Aid
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov RVCC’s school code is 007731.
2. Pay your tuition and fees
- Know the payment schedule—Fall Bills are due August 5, 2013
- Pay online with a credit card, with a check by mail or in person at the Finance Office or setup an interest free tuition payment plan.
3. Buy Your Books
- Print out your detailed student schedule from your Lion’s Den account.
- Bring this schedule to the Golden Lion Bookstore to purchase or rent (if available) your textbooks
- You can also order you textbooks online from the RVCC Web Page: Quick Links -> Bookstore
4. Print Your Schedule Again
- Print your schedule the day before classes to verify the final room assignments for each class.
5. Submit Admissions Documents
- Submit your high school transcript showing graduation and your immunization records before classes begin
6. Attend First-Year Welcome Activities
- New Student Welcome and BBQ
- Club Recruitment Day
- Weeks of Welcome & Student Success Programs (see RVCC Calendar)
7. Attend All Class Sessions
- Use the campus map in your student handbook to find where your classes are located
- Arrive early—parking fills up fast and you may have to walk across campus to get to your class
- Review the syllabus for the course
- Make a friend in each class to contact in case you miss class
Student Checklist (Use this Checklist to help manage your academic career):
The following are routine actions that each student should perform to be a successful student at RVCC and manage their academic career.
- Log-in daily to the Lion’s Den to check your Lion Mail account—you are responsible for checking your e-mail account
- Review your Lion’s Den account for any holds on your record on a monthly basis
- Review your degree evaluation at the beginning & end of each term; prior to and following registration for upcoming term(s); and prior to applying for graduation
- Communicate with your instructors weekly regarding questions about or difficulties you may experience in your courses
- The week before each term begins review the add/drop and refund/withdrawal schedule, policies, and procedures
- Register to receive alert messages on the Campus Closing tab in the Lion’s Den