Do you have a passion for beauty and love helping people look and feel younger? Consider becoming a skin care specialist -- Esthetics -- the hottest career in the beauty industry.
Great skin care, followed by professional makeup, can reduce the effects of aging and change the way someone feels about his or her appearance. Learn about various skin care treatments from electrotherapy to the physiological effects of massage. Explore the foundations of makeup and master the techniques needed to give clients a new look that is harmonious with their features and shape of their face. Before you graduate you will spend 50 hours working in a spa to gain hands-on, practical experience. All graduates receive the industry recognized Associated Skin Care Professionals (ASCP) membership. Local job placement assistance is provided. Start training now for an exciting and rewarding career as a skin care professional.
Spring Day Program
Program Start Date: January 25, 2017
Program Hours: Monday – Friday, 9:30am - 3:00pm
Program Admissions process must be completed by January 18, 2017.
Program Coordinator, Marcia H. Bird: 908-526-1200 x8618 or email@example.com
In this introductory course you will be taught the basic skills and techniques to prepare you to work as a skin care specialist. This course covers:
- Industry Orientation and Professional Success
- Infection Control
- Anatomy of the Skin, Its Diseases and Disorders
- Superfluous Hair
- Facial and Body Procedures and Treatments
- Facial Makeup Techniques and Products
The course also includes applied chemistry and electricity related to skin care.
This course is designed to prepare you to work in a salon/spa environment. In addition, you will expand your knowledge with the use of electrotherapy and corrective makeup techniques. At 300 hours you may be eligible to receive your student permit. During this course you will learn about:
- Skin Machines and Light Therapy
- Advanced Treatments for today
- Corrective Makeup and Post- surgical Makeup
- State laws and Regulations
Prerequisite: SKCR 110
The Esthetics Practicum provides you with the professional experience to work in the field of skin care. Emphasis is on working safely and competently in a day spa environment while maintaining impeccable employability skills.
Prerequisites: SKCR 110 & SKCR 120
In order to enroll in the program, you must meet the requirements listed below. Admissions are competitive and fulfilling the entrance requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
Complete the steps on the checklist
Be able to lift 25 lbs.
Be able to stand for extended periods of time while massaging clients’ faces and bodies
Earn a minimum score of Math 020 and English 060 on the Accuplacer test.
Demonstrate a readiness to complete payments on time.
Students in need of accommodations are encouraged to do so in advance. Please contact the Office of Disability Services at (908) 526-1200 x8418 or x8921 to discuss any accommodation needs.
Esthetics Program Checklist
Check each item below as you complete requirement(s).
- Complete an Application for Admission.
There is a $25 application fee payable by credit card. If you have completed an application in the past 3 years, you may not need to pay this fee, however you must change your major selection to Esthetics.
- Attend an Information Session.
The session will explain in detail about the program and give you a chance to ask questions. Click here for dates, times and locations.
- Schedule an interview.
Please call 908 526-1200 x8471 to schedule your interview.
- Attend an interview.
Prepare for this interview as you would a job interview. Be prepared to explain why you should be accepted into RVCC’s Esthetics program and why you are interested in a career in Esthetics. The interview will be approximately one hour.
- Submit official final high school transcript after graduation, which indicates date of graduation and has the official high school seal, in an unopened envelope or a GED Score Report or diploma to the Admissions Office, PO Box. 3300, Somerville, NJ 08876-1265.
- Submit previous college official transcript(s) if any, to the Office of Enrollment Services, PO Box. 3300, Somerville, NJ 08876-1265.
- Submit immunization record. Submit to the Admissions Office that you’ve had two doses of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) and three doses of Hepatitis B vaccinations in accordance with State of New Jersey immunization requirements.
- Complete placement testing at the RVCC Testing Center (L029), located just to the left of the main reception desk on the main campus. You will need a photo ID and our student ID (G#). You will be given Math and English placement tests (Accuplacer). College transcripts or high SAT scores, might exempt you from the Math and English parts of the testing. Allow approximately 2 hours for the testing. We recommend that you prepare ahead of time by studying for the Math and English – for test prep click here.
- Financial Assistance. This program is currently pending government approval for student financial aid. There are other payment options available: RVCC payment plan, Higher One (third party) payment plan, or student loans from outside private financial institutions. If you are seeking outside private financial assistance, you must complete your private loan applications with your bank or lending institutions and coordinate your payments with the finance office for any payment plans.
For more information, consult the RVCC Financial Aid website or visit the Financial Aid Office at 118 Lamington Road, Branchburg, NJ 08876.