Home Raritan Valley Community College
To best view this page, please turn off Compatibility View.

Disabilities Services ~ FAQs

  • I am graduating from high school this year and will need accommodations at RVCC. What should I do?

    First, be sure that any testing related to your disability has been updated to meet RVCC guidelines. All documentation must be current.  Please refer to the Disability Services Handbook, available online.

  • Are there different documentation requirements for different disabilities?

    Yes. Documentation of a disability must be from a qualified professional and must indicate specific recommendations related to what accommodations or academic adjustments are appropriate, based on acceptable assessment procedures. A student with a mobility impairment may not require any academic accommodations but may need other special considerations. Please see Documentation Guidelines for the requirements.

  • Can I expect to receive all of the accommodations and supports that I receive in high school at RVCC?

    No. RVCC provides basic accommodations to students with acceptable documentation on a case-by-case basis. The basic accommodations follow recommended guidelines under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.

  • What are some of the basic accommodations that I can receive if I have a Learning Disability?

    Students with a Learning Disability typically receive extended time on mid-term and final tests; testing in the testing center, or another agreed upon space, to accommodate extended testing time; the use of a calculator, according to the math department policy in non-credit math courses, if needed; and use of an audio recorder for lectures, if warranted.

  • Are there other Support Services available for students with disabilities?

    Yes, the faculty and staff at RVCC are committed to student success. All students are encouraged to take advantage of the various support services that are available. The support services are offered in an inclusive educational environment. These include:
    • Academic advisement
    • Advocacy
    • Career Counseling
    • Diagnostic evaluations through a regional center
    • Linking students to staff and support labs
    • Tutoring centers
    • Special events
    • Educational Transition Services

  • Does RVCC have a specialized program for learning disabilities?

    No, RVCC does not have a specialized program for students with disabilities. All classes and support services are mainstreamed. Colleges with specialized programs usually require a separate application and have specific eligibility criteria for acceptance. RVCC accepts and serves all students with disabilities who have been accepted by the Admissions office and who submit appropriate documentation to Disability Services.

  • How many credits does a student have to take to be considered a full-time student?

    12 credits is considered a full-time course load. If the courses that you take are 3 credits each, that would mean you would have to take at least 4 courses, each semester. You do not have to be a full-time student to receive accommodations.

  • Do I have to be a full-time student in order to receive accommodations from RVCC?

    No, you may receive accommodations for whatever number of courses that you take, once you have submitted appropriate documentation. A request for accommodations must be made in writing, each semester that you are enrolled at RVCC.

  • I need transportation to get school. Will RVCC provide rides?

    No. RVCC does not provide transportation for students. Public transportation is available to the campus from designated areas. For information, contact NJ Transit, and services for Disabled persons in your County.

back to Disabilities home

Web Study myRV Mobile RVCC LibraryLinked In Instagramfacebook Button Twitter YouTube