Did you know that the average student commutes over 11 miles to RVCC, costing about $12 roundtrip?
Save gas and money and decrease your impact on the environment by using alternative transportation.
- Maps and Directions
- Parking - On busy days, parking is usually available in Lot 5 and for faculty in Lot 6. Commuters are encouraged to carpool or take the shuttle when possible.
- Carpool - 26% of RVCC's full-time students carpool or get a ride to campus at least once a week, and 20% more are willing to carpool. To help RVCC commuters find carpools, RVCC offers RideShare ride-matching service through RideWise. Students and staff can fill out the online form and to be matched with other RVCC carpool-seekers or listed in RideShare's carpool classifieds. Carpoolers registered with RideWise are eligible for a free ride home in case of emergency. If you carpool at least twice a week, register your carpool with RideWise and their Ticket Home program, and you will receive a placard that lets you park in the carpool-only parking spaces in front of the West building.
- Vanpool - If you commute 15 miles or more to campus from a densely populated area like Flemington, consider vanpooling (carpooling in a rented van). Van costs are subsidized by NJ Transit. RideWise can help you join or start a vanpool.
- Hunterdon County LINK Bus - Hunterdon's Cross County Service can provide rides from central locations to campus by request. In fall 2014, the LINK can stop on campus twice daily, once between 9:45am and 10:30am, and again between 5:45pm and 6:10pm. (Times vary depending on the requests they get that day.) Rides cost between $2 and $4 one way. Stops include Kings shopping center in Whitehouse, Whitehouse and High Bridge train stations, and connections with Trans-Bridge buses. See http://www.ridethelink.com/ for more information or call 1-800-842-0531 to arrange a ride.
- Somerset County Shuttle Buses - Somerset County runs two public transit shuttle buses, CAT 1-R and CAT 2-R, to main campus Monday through Friday for $2 per ride. The shuttles serve Bedminster, Bound Brook, Bridgewater, Franklin, Raritan, Somerville, and South Bound Brook. Stops include the Commons Mall, Raritan Mall, and the Somerville train station. SCOOT buses stop near the Bridgewater campus and serve Bedminster, Bound Brook, Bridgewater, Manville, and Hillsborough for $2 per ride. The free RBus Somerset mobile app for the CAT 1 and CAT 2 buses lets riders know the time of the next bus directly from a smart phone or other mobile device. It also sends alerts about schedule changes or delays. Download the app from Google Play or iTunes. Type "RideWise SC" into the search box, look for the RideWise icon and install.
- NJ Transit Discounts - The shuttle bus connects to NJ Transit buses and train stations. Full-time students (12+ credits) are eligible for 25% off a regular rail, bus, or light rail monthly pass when enrolled through NJ Transit's Student Pass program. The Student Pass is an alternative to the regular monthly pass.
- Free Ride Home - If you carpool, vanpool, take mass transit, bicycle or walk to RVCC two or more times per week, you can register with RideWise's Ticket Home program. Registered commuters can get reimbursed for emergency rides home due to unexpected overtime requests, a family or medical emergency, a carpool breakdown or a transit service interruption.
- Free Electric Car Charging - In front of the West building, there are two electric car charging stations, each with fast and slow charging cords. The stations are on the ChargePoint network. The charging cost is a 40 cent connection fee and the electricity itself is free.
- No idling - It is against state law to idle your vehicle for more than 3 minutes. Please turn off your vehicle when parked.