- Assist the elderly with their personal finances and preparation of income tax forms.
- Work in municipal offices and with non-profit groups in their accounting departments.
- Tutor high school students.
- Help at hospitals and medical centers in physical therapy and radiology departments.
- Handle consumer complaints at the local consumer affairs office.
- Assist clients with legal service forms in tenancy and landlord disputes and observe court cases.
- Conduct classes for elementary school children and the elderly on the use of different computer programs.
- Help the unemployed learn to access the Internet for employment opportunities.
- Create databases and word processing forms for community agencies.
- Train in police work with local police departments.
- Assist at court houses in bail bond tracking and criminal case management departments.
- Design and prepare brochures for local non-profit groups and museums.
- Research the Internet for demographic information and maintain a database for county statistics.
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
- Assist developmentally disabled adults with school to work activities.
- Tutor communication handicapped children in local schools.
ENGLISH AND JOURNALISM
- Write newsletters for local municipal offices and local non-profit groups.
- Develop and teach creative writing workshops at local libraries.
- Tutor children in after-school programs and in adult literacy classes.
- Assist local museums with research and writing for exhibits.
- Teach nursing home residents to paint with watercolors.
- Photograph community events and festivals for local non-profit groups.
- Use translation skills to help new immigrants complete processing forms.
- Offer bi-lingual story hours to pre-school children at local libraries.
- Tutor English as a Second Language students at local schools.
- Document the history of a neighborhood using oral history techniques.
- Research archives at local museums.
- Provide information on HIV/AIDS education to local schools and peers.
- Assist with legal research and fund-raising efforts on HIV/AIDS prevention.
- Participate in mediating municipal matters.
- Observe arbitration and small claim matters.
- Create needs assessment surveys for local community organizations and schools.
- Prepare promotional material for fundraising events
- Tutor adult immigrants who are preparing for general equivalency degrees.
- Design math games for pre-school and elementary school children.
- Design and implement lesson plans for teaching children about basic nutrition.
- Help prepare food and serve the homeless at soup kitchens.
- Help with immunizations at local clinics.
- Assist with patient care at local hospitals and clinics.
- Provide home health care to the elderly or disabled.
- Teach basic exercise classes to the elderly at nursing homes.
- Assist with youth programs at local YMCA's.
- Work with crisis hotline on community outreach.
- Assist with programs that provide counseling for victims of domestic violence.
- Provide companionship and help with recreational activities for the mentally disabled.
SCIENCE AND SOCIETY
- Assist health centers with blood drives.
- Assist with outreach programs in schools on substance abuse and HIV/AIDS prevention.
- Mentor at-risk youth at youth shelters and drop-in centers.
- Work with youth groups to involve the members in community service projects.
- Assist with life skills training for homeless families.
- Compile statistics on HIV/AIDS cases for local social agencies.
- Observe and compile results of DWI court hearings for national distribution reports.
- Advocate for the equal treatment of men and women at home and in the workplace.