Transcript Information

Transcript Information

Providing transcripts that verify your prior education is an important step in the enrollment process. It will ensure that you enroll in the academically appropriate classes. Follow the simple instructions below.

High School Transcripts

You will need to provide the Admissions Office, located on the lower Level of the Library Building, with an official final high school transcript. Official copies of your high school transcript can be sent to the RVCC Admissions Office, PO Box 3300 Somerville, NJ 08876. High school transcripts are required for all students regardless of your age.

Students who attended a foreign institution are required to submit an official evaluation from a foreign credential service recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.

College Transcripts

If you are planning to transfer to RVCC credits earned at another college or university you will need to provide the the Enrollment Services Office, located on the first level of the College Center, with official copies of your prior college transcripts. Official copies of your transcripts can be sent to the mailing address below:

Raritan Valley Community College
Enrollment Services
PO Box 3300
Somerville, NJ 08876

If your college registrar sends official college transcripts electronically and requires an email address, use

When and how will I know what credits have transferred?
• Transfer credits are evaluated during the start of the first semester of attendance at RVCC in the order they are received and will be posted to your record by priority registration for the following semester. Transcripts for entering fall students will be evaluated by the 2nd week in November and by the 1st week in March for spring students.

While we make every effort to process transcripts in a timely manner, during peak times the evaluation process may be delayed. Also, please note that transcripts received 14 days after the start of the semester may not be posted by priority registration (actual priority registration dates will be posted on the RVCC website). Once transfer credits have been posted you will receive a notification via Lion’s Den email.

Note: Visiting and Non-Degree Seeking students will not receive an official transcript evaluation.

Transfer of Credit Policies 

The following are the policies by which courses sent for transfer to Raritan Valley Community College (RVCC) are reviewed and awarded:

1)    Transfer credits are awarded from United States (US) post-secondary institutions that are accredited by one of the six Regional Institutional Accrediting Organizations: Middle States Associations of Colleges and Schools, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc., Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and Western Association of Schools and Colleges.

2)    Non-Regionally Accredited Institutions:
All new or perspective Raritan Valley Community College students may file an appeal to use degree-level work completed at non-regionally accredited institutions in which a student received a C- or better.

Equivalent Raritan Valley Community College credit may be granted upon review of course outlines, and/or course descriptions, and/or appropriate descriptive materials. It is the responsibility of the student to provide any requested materials to enable proper evaluation.

Acceptance of credit will be determined by the appropriate Department Chair on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration degree requirements, level of the coursework being reviewed and the accreditation status of the credit granting institution.

Prior to granting transfer of credit for any course, Raritan Valley Community College reserves the right to test applicants or request that they successfully complete an interview with the appropriate Department Chair before transfer credit is awarded.

3)     RVCC may accept coursework through associations, business, government, military, police academy and industry that have been evaluated for college credit by American Council on Education (ACE)

4)     International Institutions:
Any college credit earned from a non-US institution must be evaluated by an evaluation service that is a member of National Association of Credit Evaluation Services (N.A.C.E.S). A listing of the member evaluation services and additional information can be obtained by visiting

5)    Developmental courses designated as zero (0) level (i.e. MATH 013 or ENGL 050) including English as a Second Language (ESL) courses are not transferable*. 

(* Note: Certificate and Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree programs may allow developmental Math courses to transfer and fill proficiency requirements.)

6)      Transfer credit limitations: 
RVCC will accept up to 45 transfer and/or advanced standing credits toward an associate degree or 75 percent of the required credits for a certificate. The course requirements of some selective programs may limit the applicability of transfer credits to fulfill degree requirements. The minimum grade accepted for transfer is a C-.

7)    Students matriculating at RVCC that wish to take course(s) at another institution and have those course(s) applied towards their RVCC degree, must complete an Advanced Approval Form at RVCC prior to registering for course(s) at another institution. This form must be signed by an RVCC academic advisor. Upon completion of course(s), it is the responsibility of the student to have an official transcript sent to RVCC for credit transfer. 

8)    It is the student’s responsibility to contact ALL previous institutions and arrange to have final, official transcripts sent to RVCC that reflect all coursework completed. This must be done prior to the second semester of matriculation at RVCC. 

RVCC accepts the Advanced Placement (AP) exam in certain subject areas with a score of 3, 4 or 5; College Level Examination Program (CLEP) with passing score of 50 or higher (depending on the subject area); DANTES subject exam with a score of 46 or higher (depending on the subject area); NYU Foreign Language Exam (for languages not offered at RVCC); and RVCC departmental exam (for subject areas not available through CLEP, DANTES).*

(* Note: Test results and/or proof of proficiency must be sent directly from the accrediting agency to RVCC.)

Latest News From Campus

News Releases Fulltime Faculty Member Honored with 2023-2024 Excellence in Teaching Award Posted Monday, June 3, 2024
Read More
Link to Fulltime Faculty Member Honored with 2023-2024 Excellence in Teaching Award
Blog RVCC Spotlight: Meet Social Media Student Ruby Dennis Posted Tuesday, May 7, 2024
Read More
Link to RVCC Spotlight: Meet Social Media Student Ruby Dennis
News Releases Student Receives National Honors as Newman Civic Fellow Posted Monday, May 6, 2024
Read More
Link to Student Receives National Honors as Newman Civic Fellow