Providing transcripts that verify your prior education is an important step in the enrollment process. It will ensure that you enroll in the academically appropriate classes. Follow the simple instructions below.
High School Transcripts
You will need to provide the Admissions Office, located on the lower Level of the Library Building, with an official final high school transcript. Official copies of your high school transcript can be sent to the RVCC Admissions Office, PO Box 3300 Somerville, NJ 08876 or can be delivered in-person (need to be in a sealed envelope from the high school).
If you are planning to transfer to RVCC credits earned at another college or university you will need to provide the Admissions Office, located on the lower level of the Library Building, with official copies of your prior college transcripts. Official copies of your transcripts can be sent to RVCC Admissions Office, PO Box 3300, Somerville, New Jersey 08876; or can be delivered in-person (need to be in a sealed envelope from the college).
Students who attended a foreign institution are required to submit an official evaluation from a foreign credential service recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.
Transfer of Credit Policies
The following are the policies by which courses sent for transfer to Raritan Valley Community College (RVCC) are reviewed and awarded:
1) Transfer credits are awarded from United States (US) post-secondary institutions that are accredited by one of the six Regional Institutional Accrediting Organizations: Middle States Associations of Colleges and Schools, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc., Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
2) Non-Regionally Accredited Institutions:
All new or perspective Raritan Valley Community College students may file an appeal to use degree-level work completed at non-regionally accredited institutions in which a student received a C- or better.
Equivalent Raritan Valley Community College credit may be granted upon review of course outlines, and/or course descriptions, and/or appropriate descriptive materials. It is the responsibility of the student to provide any requested materials to enable proper evaluation.
Acceptance of credit will be determined by the appropriate Department Chair on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration degree requirements, level of the coursework being reviewed and the accreditation status of the credit granting institution.
Prior to granting transfer of credit for any course, Raritan Valley Community College reserves the right to test applicants or request that they successfully complete an interview with the appropriate Department Chair before transfer credit is awarded.
3) International Institutions:
Students who have attended a college or university in a foreign country and wish to transfer degree-level credits must provide a transcript evaluation from an organization belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. These organizations charge a fee for their services, and the evaluations may take several weeks.
4) Developmental courses designated as zero (0) level (i.e. MATH 013 or ENGL 050) including English as a Second Language (ESL) courses are not transferable*.
(*Note: Certificate and Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree programs may allow developmental Math courses to transfer and fill proficiency requirements.)
5) Transfer credit limitations:
RVCC will accept up to 45 transfer and/or advanced standing credits toward an associate degree or 75 percent of the required credits for a certificate. The course requirements of some selective programs may limit the applicability of transfer credits to fulfill degree requirements. The minimum grade accepted for transfer is a C-.
6) Students matriculating at RVCC that wish to take course(s) at another institution and have those course(s) applied towards their RVCC degree, must complete an Advanced Approval Form at RVCC prior to registering for course(s) at another institution. This form must be signed by an RVCC academic advisor. Upon completion of course(s), it is the responsibility of the student to have an official transcript sent to RVCC for credit transfer.
7) It is the student’s responsibility to contact ALL previous institutions and arrange to have final, official transcripts sent to RVCC that reflect all coursework completed. This must be done prior to the second semester of matriculation at RVCC.
8) RVCC accepts coursework through associations, business, government, military, police academy and industry that have been evaluated for college credit by American Council on Education (ACE) http://www.acenet.edu.
RVCC accepts the Advanced Placement (AP) exam in certain subject areas with a score of 3, 4 or 5; College Level Examination Program (CLEP) with passing score of 50 or higher (depending on the subject area); DANTES subject exam with a score of 46 or higher (depending on the subject area); NYU Foreign Language Exam (for languages not offered at RVCC); and RVCC departmental exam (for subject areas not available through CLEP, DANTES).*