Ready, Set, Play: Athletics at RVCC
At Raritan Valley Community College, we pride ourselves on offering a well-rounded education and true college experience for all students. This includes a focus on athletics that attracts student athletes from all over New Jersey and the surrounding area. Read on to learn more about Lions Athletics at RVCC!
About RVCC Athletics
RVCC is a member of the National Junior College Athletic Association Region XIX and the Garden State Athletic Conference. The College been represented at the state and national levels in many sports and currently offers eight athletic programs that participate in NJCAA DII or NJCAA DIII levels. Some of these programs include:
• Baseball & Softball (NJCAA Division II level). The Baseball and Softball teams compete during the Spring Semester with tryouts beginning at the end of January and postseason concluding in early May. These teams also have fall ball seasons with workouts beginning in mid-September and concluding in October.
• Basketball (NJCAA Division II level). The Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams compete in both the Fall and Spring Semesters with tryouts beginning in early October and postseason concluding in March.
• Soccer (NJCAA Division III level). The Men’s Soccer and Women’s Soccer teams compete in the Fall Semester with tryouts beginning in early August and postseason concluding at the end of October. The teams also have spring training workouts during the Spring Semester beginning in March and concluding at the end of April.
• Volleyball (NJCAA Division III level). The Volleyball team competes in the Fall Semester with tryouts beginning in early August and postseason concluding in early November. The Volleyball team also has spring training workings during the Spring Semester beginning in March and concluding in April.
Intramural Programs & Student Clubs
For students looking for less rigorous and demanding opportunities than participating in team sports, Raritan Valley Community College Athletics also sponsors Intramural Programs. Enjoy the opportunity to socialize while keeping fit through exercise with community college basketball, community college baseball, community college volleyball, and more. Intramurals are established based on student interest and availability.
Sometimes RVCC students only take a couple of classes at a time due to work schedules or family commitments. This leads them to wonder: “Can part time students do athletics?” Joining an athletic club could be the perfect solution, allowing students to dabble in a sport for fun and exercise with a minimal time commitment. Learn more about student clubs here.
Many students wonder: “Can community colleges offer me athletic scholarships?” RVCC offers two financial aid scholarships for student athletes, including:
• Augie Eosso Legacy Scholarship. The recipient must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5 and be recommended by a faculty member who can speak about the applicant’s ethic of academic responsibility and accountability. Students must also be recommended by their coach, who can speak about the applicant’s team spirit, leadership, discipline, and determination. The RVCC Athletic Department makes the selection.
• Athletic Scholarships. The RVCC’s Athletic Department uses funds raised by the RVCC Foundation to award scholarships to student-athletes who demonstrate financial need and maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75.
RVCC supports athletes and fitness enthusiasts of all types with its 2,330-square-foot Fitness Center. The campus gym features a full wall of windows overlooking the main campus quad and a cushioned sports safety rubberized floor. It’s equipped with squat racks, a multi-user functional training station, dumbbells, and kettlebells. Cardio equipment includes treadmills, upright bicycles, recumbent bicycles, and ellipticals. Additional equipment includes stability balls, medicine balls, ab wheels, and aerobic steps.
The Physical Education Building also houses the RVCC Aquatic Center. This six-lane, 25-yard pool with spectator seating plays host to several campus and local community-based programs and services.
Attend Our Next Information Session
Raritan Valley Community College has been ranked as the #1 community college in NJ by WalletHub.com and Niche.com. The College offers more than 90 degree and certificate programs, from academics to professional certifications and training programs. Enjoy vibrant in-person instruction, accredited online courses, and so much more.