The Coalition is focused on the following priorities: prevention of prescription drug misuse across the lifespan, underage drinking, tobacco, marijuana, and other drug use. Since 2012, the Coalition has implemented the following:
- Expansion of an active, outcome-oriented stakeholders groups in both Hunterdon and Somerset counties with strong representation from law enforcement, county officials, educators, civic and faith-based organizations, parents and students. Each county's stakeholders group meets on a monthly basis with work groups addressing each of the prevention priorities.
- Funded the production of three documentaries about the real-life consequences of substance abuse produced by the late RVCC Adjunct Professor of film, Harry Hillard - “In a Split Second”, “Pills To Heroin: The Domino Effect”, The Fentanyl Factor. These films are available online, have been used by the drug courts and Intoxicated Drivers Resource Centers in both counties and have also been shown to high school and college students, parents, educators, public officials, and civic organizations including via virtual Town Hall meetings and other events.
- Supported the activities of the RVCC HOPE club which focuses on safe and responsible life choices, peer education, promoting healthy social norms and raising the awareness of students, faculty and staff about the harmful effects of substance abuse and vaping.
- Promoted a variety of public policy changes affecting large segments of the population in both counties including restricting the use of alcohol at the “Far Hills Steeplechase Race", a large fund-raising initiative in Somerset County.
- Promoted the expansion of Prescription (Rx) drop boxes for the safe disposal of unwanted and expired medications. For a list of available Rx drop boxes by county go to: https://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/meddrop/Pages/Locations.aspx.
- Educated state and local officials/decision-makers, business owners, and community members about the prospective impact of legalizing recreational marijuana learned from other states.
RVCC students, parents, faculty and staff are invited to participate in one of our work groups by attending our monthly meetings that are held on campus the 3rd Tuesday of each month, 9:30 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. For further information and room location, contact Amee Smolinsky at 908-526-1200 x8607 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To live in a SAFE and healthy community by eliminating drug use, underage drinking and prescription drug abuse.
Through wide spread community collaboration, environmental change, and community education in Hunterdon and Somerset counties, we will address areas of concern including, but not limited to, reducing Rx drug abuse across the lifespan, underage drinking, tobacco, marijuana, and other drug us.
The Safe Communities Coalition of Hunterdon and Somerset Counties is an initiative funded through a grant from the N.J. Division of Mental Health and Addictions Services (DMHAS) since 2012. Prevention Resources Inc. is the fiscal agent and RVCC and Empower Somerset are partner agencies.
Treatment, Recovery and Prevention
- Safe Communities Coalition
- RVCC Alchohol and Other Drugs
- Blood Alcohol Calculator
- College Drinking
- Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) Campus Drug Prevention
- Hunterdon Drug Awareness Program
- Prevention Resources, Inc
- NJ Prevention Network
- Start Your Recovery
- Carrier Clinic
- Princeton House
- Eating Disorder
- Northern NJ AA Groups
- NJ AlaNon and AlaTeen
- Somerset Treatment Services
- 800 Gambler
- Smart Recovery
- Marijuana Anonymous
- Narcotics Anonymous
Main Location: College Center, 2nd Floor (near Resource Center)
Amee Smolinsky - Safe Communities Coalition Email: email@example.com