Do you have a passion for beauty and love helping people look and feel younger? Consider becoming a skin care specialist -- Esthetics -- the hottest career in the beauty industry.
Great skin care, followed by professional makeup, can reduce the effects of aging and change the way someone feels about his or her appearance. Learn about various skin care treatments from electrotherapy to the physiological effects of massage. Explore the foundations of makeup and master the techniques needed to give clients a new look that is harmonious with their features and shape of their face. Before you graduate you will spend 50 hours working in a spa to gain hands-on, practical experience. All graduates receive the industry recognized Association of Skin Care Professionals (ASCP) membership. Local job placement assistance is provided. Start training now for an exciting and rewarding career in Esthetics.
Students graduating from the Esthetics program will receive the Beauty Essentials Make up Certification by Make Up Designory (MUD).
SPRING 2020 Program
February 24, 2020 - August 25, 2020
Monday through Friday 9am-3pm
FALL 2020 PROGRAM
September 2, 2020-February 17, 2021
SPRING 2021 PROGRAM
March 1, 2021-August 20, 2021
Program Coordinator, Marcia H. Bird: 908-526-1200 x8618 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Development Course
COURSE FEE: $997 (Includes training manual, course materials, products and lunch)
Dates: March 29, 30 and 31, 9am-6pm
Location: Esthetics room 214
RVCC Beauty Professions is sponsoring a 3 -Day Certified Oncology Training Program by Oncology Spa Solutions. Designed for licensed professionals who have an open heart and a desire to be able to help the special needs of this underserved client. For more information: contact Marcia.Bird@raritanval.edu and register at https://www.oncologyspasolutions.com/training
10% discount for RVCC students and alumni – mention in your registration.
In this introductory course you will be taught the basic skills and techniques to prepare you to work as a skin care specialist. This course covers:
- Industry Orientation and Professional Success
- Infection Control
- Anatomy of the Skin, Its Diseases and Disorders
- Superfluous Hair
- Facial and Body Procedures and Treatments
- Facial Makeup Techniques and Products
The course also includes applied chemistry and electricity related to skin care.
This course is designed to prepare you to work in a salon/spa environment. In addition, you will expand your knowledge with the use of electrotherapy and corrective makeup techniques. At 300 hours you may be eligible to receive your student permit. During this course you will learn about:
- Skin Machines and Light Therapy
- Advanced Treatments for today
- Corrective Makeup and Post- surgical Makeup
- State laws and Regulations
Prerequisite: SKCR 110
The Esthetics Practicum is available for students that are not employed in a spa at the time of program completion. Participating in a practicum will assist you with the professional experience to work in the field of skin care and may lead to employment. Emphasis is on working safely and competently in a day spa environment while maintaining impeccable employability skills.
Prerequisites: SKCR 110 & SKCR 120
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION:
1. Complete the steps on the checklist.
2. Able to lift 25 lbs.
3. Able to stand for extended periods of time.
4. Minimum score of Math 020 and English 060 on the Accuplacer test.
5. Readiness to complete payments on time.
6. Complete two health physicals within an 11 month period as required by the New Jersey State Board of Cosmetology and Hair Styling
Students in need of accommodations are encouraged to do so in advance. Please contact the Office of Disability Services at 908-526-1200 x8418 or x8921 to discuss any accommodation needs.
Esthetics Program Checklist
Check each item below as you complete requirement(s).
- Complete an Application for Admission.
There is a $25 application fee payable by credit card. If you have completed an application in the past 3 years, you may not need to pay this fee, however you must change your major selection to Esthetics.
- Financial Aid. If you seek financial aid you must complete the FAFSA form at www.fafsa.ed.gov as soon as possible. For more information, consult the RVCC Financial Aid website. Allow two weeks for processing.
- Attend an Information Session. The session will explain in detail about the program and give you a chance to ask questions. Dates, times and locations can be found at www.raritanval.edu.
- Complete placement testing at the RV Testing Center (L029), located just to the left of the main reception desk on the main campus. You will need a photo ID and an RVCC student number (G#). You will be given Math and English placement tests (Accuplacer). College transcripts or high SAT scores, might exempt you from the Math and English parts of the testing. Allow approximately 2 hours for the testing. We recommend that you prepare ahead of time by studying for the Math and English – for test prep go to https://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students
- Submit official final high school transcript after graduation, which indicates date of graduation and has the official high school seal, in an unopened envelope or a GED Score Report or diploma to the Admissions Office, PO Box. 3300, Somerville, NJ 08876-1265.
- Submit previous college official transcript(s) if any, to the Office of Enrollment Services, PO Box. 3300, Somerville, NJ 08876-1265.
- Submit immunization record. Submit to the Admissions Office that you’ve had two doses of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) and three doses of Hepatitis B vaccinations in accordance with State of New Jersey immunization requirements. For more information on immunization and to download a form for your doctor, see www.raritanval.edu/admissions-info/apply-to-rvcc/immunizations
- Register for Course: Student will need to have the CRN (Course Registration Number) and course name to register.
- Student Background Screening: Students will be required to complete a Background Screening once registered for the class. Please notify email@example.com once you have registered for the class to receive instructions on completing the online screening. Please note: Final Acceptance is contingent upon eligibility for NJ State Board Licensing.
- Attend an orientation session
- Course Payment: Payment is due before the start of class. If you are seeking Financial Aid, loans or a payment plan, the first payment or guarantee of funding must be in place and recognized by our Finance Office by the start of class.