Log in and Learn! Online Courses at RVCC
In our increasingly digital world, it’s no wonder that online college courses are becoming more and more popular with students. According to a report from Digital Learning Compass, more than 6 million students took at least one online course in 2015, representing nearly 30 percent of all higher education enrollments that year. At Raritan Valley Community College, we’re right in step with the nationwide trend, offering more than 150 online courses each semester and several programs that can be completed entirely online.
What to Expect
Similar to in-person classroom courses, online courses are led by an instructor who holds an advanced degree in the chosen field of study. Instead of meeting in a classroom, you and your fellow students will be able to access your course anytime, anywhere from your computer or mobile device. Because of this convenience and flexibility, online courses are popular with full-time employees, working parents and other adult learners. With most online courses, you can expect to do the following:
- Read, view and listen to content
- Participate in discussions
- Communicate via email
- Complete assignments
- Take quizzes and exams
Online Degree Programs at RVCC
The following RVCC programs are offered entirely online, allowing you to earn a degree or certificate without leaving your home:
- A.S. in Accounting
- CPA Education Requirement Certificate
- Health Information Technology-Medical Coding Certificate
85% Online Programs at RVCC
If you’re open to an online community college experience with the occasional campus visit for tests, then these 85% online programs at RVCC may be for you:
- Accounting Information Systems A.A.S.
- Business Administration - General Business A.S.
- Business Administration - International Business Option A.S.
- Business Administration - Marketing Option A.S.
- Business Management - Financial Services A.A.S.
- Business Management - General Business A.A.S.
- Business Management - International Business Option A.A.S.
- Criminal Justice A.A.
- English A.A.
- Health Information Technology A.A.S.
Skills for Success
A successful online learning experience requires motivation, a support system, access to reliable technology and an adequate amount of time to dedicate to your studies. Here are some factors for success.
- Time Management: Managing your time well is the most important factor in your success as an online student. Online courses actually take more time than classroom courses because they involve reading and writing instead of listening and speaking. Discussion posts and emails can accumulate quickly, so you’ll need to log in every day to keep up.
- Self-Directed Learning: In an online course, the instructor is a facilitator, not a lecturer. Information will be presented via textbook content, PowerPoint presentations, videos and websites. It is up to you create your own learning path and monitor your own progress.
- Efficiency and Organization: Since you’ll be directing your own learning, you’ll do much better if you are efficient and organized. Knowing the assignment due dates and test dates on the course timeline is very important. You can add private entries to your course calendar for additional reminders. Take your tests and hand in assignments early.
- Anxiety and Stress: Taking your test early in the test availability period will eliminate the anxiety of a computer crash or power outage at the last minute. If you’re concerned about the time limits and technology involved in online testing, you may want to ask your instructor if he/she will create a practice test for the students in your class.
RVCC was rated the best community college in New Jersey by BestColleges.com. We offer top degree and certificate programs for students in Somerset County and Hunterdon County, NJ. Interested in enrollment at our accredited institution? Be sure to check out an upcoming Information Session.