Here to Help: Relieve Stress & Stay Mentally Strong at RVCC!
At RVCC, we recognize the addition of college to an already busy life can be a challenging time of transition and mental stress. From exam anxiety to time management, it’s important to find self-care strategies for college students that can help you have a productive, rewarding, and satisfying experience.
We’ve compiled a list of tactics and resources to help you manage stress and stay mentally strong throughout the school year at RVCC. So, let’s get started!
How to Manage Stress in College
If you’re wondering: “What are the best ways for college students to care for their mental health?” It really depends on the person and their individual needs. Here are some common stress relief tactics and self-care practices that could be beneficial for you as a college student:
- Begin counseling or therapy with a qualified professional, whether you choose an on-campus counselor at RVCC or a private practitioner.
- Practice meditation or mindfulness when you’re feeling stressed to help regulate your mood, calm your mind, and take some much-needed time for yourself.
- Join a student club to meet like-minded people, explore your interests, and embrace the benefits of socialization.
- Learn some study tips so you’ll feel more in control of the outcome of exams.
- Engage in a physical activity of some kind, whether that means practicing yoga, heading to the fitness center, playing a sport, or going for daily walks. Exercise is a proven form of stress relief that can boost both body and mind.
Advising and Counseling
RVCC offers a wide range of Advising and Counseling student services to help students identify and clarify personal, academic, and career goals. The Advising and Counseling office is located in the College Center on the first floor, room C-165. Office hours are Monday-Thursday, 8:30am-6pm and Friday, 8:30am-5pm and virtual drop-ins are available. Click here for contact information.
RVCC offers free, short-term personal counseling to the entire College population to help with student mental health. Students can talk one-on-one with a trained counselor to discuss their concerns and learn ways to manage stress and anxiety. On-campus hours are Monday-Thursday 9 am-5pm in Hunterdon Hall, Rooms 110, 111, or 114. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.
RVCC Resource Center
The RVCC Resource Center offers support to students who may be facing barriers to success at college. They help students access services from community organizations in New Jersey for counseling, substance abuse support, immigration support, LGBTQ support, and more. The Resource Center is located on the 2nd floor of the College Center, across from the Cafeteria.
Attend Our Fall Open House
If you think RVCC could be the right place for you, attend our upcoming Fall Open House! Held on Saturday, October 22 from 10am-12pm, this event will give you the opportunity to tour the campus, speak with an admissions specialist, explore financial aid options, and more. Register here.
RVCC has been ranked as the #1 community college in NJ by WalletHub.com and Niche.com. The College offers more than 90 degree and certificate programs, from academics to professional certifications in a variety of fields. For further information, visit www.raritanval.edu.