An Eco-Conscious Campus: Sustainability Efforts at RVCC
At Raritan Valley Community College, we are deeply committed to preserving the environment through ongoing sustainability programs. For the third year in a row, we’ve been lauded for our efforts by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE). Recognized as a top performer in the 2017 Sustainable Campus Index, RVCC ranked seventh in the country in the “Associate Colleges” category—receiving a Silver rating for our efforts. Click here to learn more about this national recognition. And read on to discover more about our commitment to eco-consciousness at RVCC!
RVCC has received a number of awards and accolades related to sustainability. Here are a few of our recent achievements:
- RVCC was one of only 11 colleges and universities in the nation honored with a U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools Postsecondary Sustainability Award
- RVCC was the first community college in the country to sign an environmental stewardship agreement with the EPA
- RVCC is the first two-year institution of higher education in the country to reach carbon neutrality
- RVCC is the second community college in the U.S., and second college in NJ, to commit to 100% green electricity through the EPA Green Power Partnership
- RVCC is the first NJ college to earn River Friendly certification
Everywhere you look on campus you can see examples of the College’s commitment to sustainability. Our efforts include:
- Installing solar panels through Somerset County’s Renewable Energy program
- Using environmentally friendly measures for pest control and lawn care
- Installing WaterSense faucets and toilets to conserve water
- Reducing energy usage through installing LED lights and upgrading HVAC equipment
Environmental Science Degree Program
Reinforcing our belief in the importance of environmental education, RVCC is the only NJ community college with an Environmental Science degree program. Designed to prepare students for transfer into a 4-year degree program in Environmental Science, the program leads to a wide range of careers in such areas as environmental testing and research, consulting, private industry and environmental agencies. The program provides a comprehensive understanding of the functions of local and global ecosystems and examines how they are affected by human activities. For more info on the program, click here.
Clubs are a huge part of the RVCC culture. RVCC’s Environmental Club seeks to create environmental awareness and eco-friendly living by making the campus more “green” through education and community projects. Members come together to raise organic fruits and vegetables, help restore local forests and other habitats, participate in beach and stream clean-ups, support campus sustainability events, and go on hikes and camping/canoeing trips. Click here to learn more.
Demonstrating that one student can make a difference, second year Environmental Science major Amber Lindsay was recently named a 2018 Newman Civic Fellow as part of a national program that recognizes community-committed students. As President of the RVCC Environmental Club, Amber has participated in a number of impactful environmental projects—including organizing a “Little Scientist Night” for local elementary school students and helping to fund a study abroad program for RVCC students in the Brazilian rainforest.
To learn more about ongoing sustainability efforts at RVCC, click here.
We’re #1! We’re #1! Raritan Valley Community College has been ranked the #1 community college in New Jersey by both BestColleges.com and Niche.com. Here, you can earn one of many sought-after degrees and easily transfer credits to a state college or other competitive four-year school. To learn more about RVCC, attend our Spring Open House.