Raritan Valley Community College is participating in the New Jersey Community College Opportunity Grant Program, which offers free community college to qualified students.
Who qualifies for Free Tuition?
- You must have a total household adjusted income not exceeding $65,000
- Attend your home community college – RVCC for Somerset & Hunterdon county residents
- Apply to RVCC and complete all admissions requirements
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) including the state questions
- Dreamers must complete the New Jersey Alternative Financial Aid Application
- Enroll in at least 6 credits each semester for Fall and/or Spring
- Do not have a prior college degree
- Make satisfactory academic progress
How does the program work?
Eligible students will receive free tuition and most educational fees for up to 18 credits a semester. The Opportunity Grant will pay for all tuition and most educational fee costs not covered by state, federal, institutional or community grants or scholarships. The first step is to complete the FASFA or New Jersey Alternative Financial Aid Application.
What are the income requirements?
Independent students – those who do not have to report their parent income on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application – must have an Adjusted Gross Income not exceeding $65,000. Dependent students – those who must report their parent information on their FAFSA – must have a parent Adjusted Gross Income not exceeding $65,000. Those with a negative Adjusted Gross Income are not eligible for this program.
Am I eligible if I am taking English as a Second Language classes or remedial classes?
Yes, as long as you take at least 6 credits per semester.
Am I eligible if I am not a citizen or legal US Permanent Resident?
If you are not a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen, you may be eligible for the Opportunity Grant by filling out the New Jersey Alternative Financial Aid Application at njgrants.org. In order to apply you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Attended a New Jersey high school for at least three (3) years
- Graduated from a New Jersey high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in New Jersey
- Registered for Selective Service (male students only)
- Are able to file an affidavit stating that you will file an application to legalize your immigration status or will file an application as soon you are eligible to do so
Can I go to an out-of-county community college and still be eligible for the Opportunity Grant?
You must attend your home community college unless your home college does not offer the program of study you are interested in pursuing. In that case, you must obtain a letter from your home community college stating that the college does not offer the program or the program is unavailable due to lack of available space.
What expenses are covered under the Opportunity Grant?
The grant covers all tuition and most educational fees including general fees, registration fees, lab fees, most program fees, technology fees and student activity fees. It does not cover books, computers & other supplies, application fees, graduation fees, transcript fees and late fees.
Am I eligible if I am enrolled in an Academy Program or other Early College Program?
No. To be eligible you must have a high school diploma or high school equivalency (GED).
How do I get started?
Apply to RVCC and fill out the 2019-2020 FASFA application at fafsa.gov. RVCC’s school code is 007731. If you do not meet the citizenship requirements for FASFA, go to njgrants.org to determine if you are eligible to fill out the New Jersey Alternative Financial Aid Application. If you have already filled out your 2019-2020 FASFA and are a current RVCC student or have applied to RVCC, you will be automatically considered for the grant.
How do I find out more about the Opportunity Grant program?
Program subject to change